Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Today Is The Type Of Day For Making Pierogies.....

Pan Fried Up Homemade Pierogies

Green Cabbage Filling

Red Cabbage Filling
Potato and Cheddar Cheese Filling

I am half Polish. My father came from Poland to Canada when he was a boy. I grew up with some of the most finest Polish cuisine made up by his mother, (my grandmother), and just loved it when we would go to her house for special occasions and holidays, and for the feasts that she would prepare. One of my favorite Polish dishes was Pierogies....a simple dough rolled out into circles, and then filling in the centre of either potato and cheese, wild mushroom and cabbage, or just cabbage, (these are the ones i remember, or preferred, I'm sure she made other filling flavors as well), anyways, after placing your filling in the middle of the uncooked dough, you fold it over, in a crescent like shape, seal, and place into boiling water until cooked. Then, my favorite way of eating them, was to wait and have them usually the next day when they had cooled down, fry them up in butter in the frying pan, so they get nice a greasy and crispy! Now, that is just the best! They are also really nice to have with the rest of a traditional Polish meal, such as with pork and rice filled cabbage rolls, mushroom sauce, potatoes, other vegetables and breaded pork chops and so on....everything just goes so well together....also usually to start off the meal, a bowl of homemade mushroom, or tomato soup...tomato being my choice. My children now just love the wild mushroom soup that my Dad makes....I'm so glad to see that most of my children really enjoy the same type of fare. I grew up watching my parents make Pierogies, cabbage rolls etc...I too now can make most of my favorite Polish dishes....and am very proud of my background, even though i know very little of it unfortunately. Anyways, I recently made up a great batch of dough (care of a new found friend from Manitoba, who shared with me her hubby's grandma's old recipe) and my recipes from my Dad and his Mother's cabbage filling (which tasted great, didn't look quite the way my Dad does it, but same great taste)....combined together, it made one great Pierogie! My kids prefer of course the cheese ones....I the other....Hope you enjoyed this little tidbit about one of my favorite Polish foods.


~Rosemary~

3 comments:

  1. The weather is really nasty today, a good day to cook something good to warm up the tummy....Certain foods I like to make at certain times of the year, due to weather, in the hot months I don't want to be sweating in the kitchen making up something complex...So meals like perogies, cabbage rolls, etc...are all good things to make in the winter months....

    ~Rosemary~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this! I might have to have a go at making these when the weather cools down here in Australia, they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mamamia....i will get up some recipes unless you have your own...they are easy to make, just takes a bit of time, and practice if your "new" to it all....but really "cheap eating"....The internet is just full of pictures of them, or recipes too...the ones you see i made, and were so good!~Rosemary~

    ReplyDelete